    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?

    # No backups then?
    # No find . | cpio -pdv /dest?
    #
    # Are you sure?

    No backups of the EAs/extra forks/streams/whatever, no. Which was the
    point made several times about EAs already - the fact they could be 'lost'
    by unmodified utilities. (Likewise, I made the point that modified
    versions of the utilities would be likely to appear some considerable time
    before any applications started really utilising the features).

    This is no different from..

    C:\> echo foo > foo.txt
    C:\> echo bar > foo.txt:bar

    :

    $ cd /mnt/nt4
    $ tar cvf foo.tar foo.txt
    $ cd temp
    $ tar xvf ../foo.tar

    :

    C:\> cd temp
    C:\temp> type foo.txt
    foo
    C:\temp> type foo.txt:bar

    [ snipped - I'm not sure whether NT whinges about the file not existing,
    or some different kind of message, or whatever - I don't have an NT system
    to hand, so I couldn't say ;) Either way, the point is the same ]

    --
    Mo McKinlay Chief Software Architect inter/open Labs
    GnuPG Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.024 / U:22.720 seconds]