    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Note that some NTFS people have advocated the NTFS design: special
    > functions for setting and accessing the NTFS EA's. And that is _equally_
    > short-sighted. It misses the point entirely: I'm not interested in a
    > HFS-specific hack, and I'm not interested in a NTFS-specific hack.

    While I'm not neccissarily an "NTFS person," I feel
    compelled to point out that NTFS named streams operate
    as normal files, and are accessed via a namespace
    extension, the ":" character. BeFS, HPFS, etc. Extended
    Attributes can be built on top of NTFS-style Named
    Streams by providing accessor functions that simply
    opening a stream, writing a chunk of data to it, and
    closing it again. NTFS is the only FS, AFAIK, that
    supports such a generic view of streams. BeFS, the Mac,
    etc. all use Extended Attributes available as name-value
    pairs only via special functions.

    I am also not interested in a filesystem-specific hack.
    It just seems that the NTFS method of making streams
    usable by open(), read(), write(), seek(), etc. makes
    sense as a foundation for all types of EAs. You could
    even mmap() streams for the benefit of the accessor

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:13.660 seconds]