SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain
Date
On Sat, 08 Jul 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> In <20000708203335Z4895-532+18680@nic.funet.fi> Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia@nic.funet.fi) wrote:
[...]
> > Lets not talk about 4 ms latency but 7 ms from practical point.
>
> Why ?

I agree with Juhana; the interesting figure is 7 ms. The reason for
this is that if 7 ms happens often enough to be registered within the
period of a normal benchmark/test, then it's happening way too often!
7 ms has to be regarded as the practical worst case latency, and it's
too much even if it was guaranteed never to occur twice within say, 5
seconds. (Allowing RT thread to catch up so that another 7 ms peak
doesn't generate a drop-out.) Once in a few weeks may be acceptable.
Once in 10 hrs, and we don't have a seriously usable solution.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david@linuxdj.com -'

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.057 / U:0.336 seconds]