SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] lowish-latency patch and toolchain
On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

>>From: "Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
>>
>>> Lets talk about 7 ms latency only -- 4 ms is useless information in audio
>>> software which has to be 101% reliable.
>>
>>Sorry. It was said 1000 times already but I can repeat once more just for you:
>>101% reliability => HARD real time => RTLinux. Period. If you NEED 101%
>
>Forget that 101%.
>The most above quote tells me that scheduling latency is practically
>reliable with 10 ms latency (while taking account those not-to-do's).
>If only 7 ms peaks are observed, it looks 101% reliable to me.

But it has allready been said for example that the need to delete
large files (a don't do that) exists for audio apps. So while
the latency may possibly be there, the rest of the requirements
are not..

This says to me that someone interested in doing audio needs to
examine WHY large files can't be deleted (and the other don't do
that's) and try to solve THOSE problems as well - but in a non
kludge way that also benefits the general uses of the kernel -
not just for the special purpose of audio recording.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.062 / U:0.220 seconds]