SubjectRe: Good luck when RedHat 7.0 comes out (was RE: test5 oops after kswapd)...
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:54:07PM -0700, jeff@ntcor.com wrote:
> A week ago I installed RedHat Rawhide on my machine to check it out.
> Everything seems to work fine. Except... Kernel compilations.
>
> Since RedHat 7.0beta just hit the mirrors I'm betting all of my kernel
> problems are all of the sudden going to become a wide spread problem.

This mail should not go to linux-kernel but Red Hat lists (am CCing it only
so that other folks send such reports to the correct mailing lists).

> Kernel version 2.2.17pre13: doesn't link completly. aic7xxx complains about

You should compile 2.2 kernels with kgcc (ie. egcs 1.1.2). Unpatched 2.2
kernels really will not work with gcc 2.96.

> Thus I thought "Hey, if I can't compile 2.2 maybe they've got it worked out in
> 2.4..."
>
> Kernel version 2.4-test5: yippie! it compiles fine!. Too bad the kernel
> fails to boot past "Starting kswapd v1.7" which after printing promptly
> produces an oops. No matter how I compile it this happens. Currently I
> compiled a fully non-modular kernel with only the basics to get my system
> up and on the net and this is what I get...

That was caused by a bug in gcc, which should be fixed in 7.0beta.
You need a small kernel patch anyway to close the undefined memcpy
references etc. Look at kernel24 src.rpm.

Jakub

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.167 / U:0.208 seconds]