SubjectRe: IDE DMA on 2.4.0test3-pre1 still broken?

And perhaps on 2.2.x as well.

Andre wrote:

> Greetings! Just to indicate that I seem to be having this problem
> too. One drive for each controller. 2.2.16+IDE. When the ide1 drive
> is jumpered to hdc, 'timeout waiting on DMA -> lost interrupt'. But
> when jumpered for hdd, all is stable. Does this shed any light?

One thing I've noticed...and if you recall a while back, I posted a
similar problem with 2.2.15. I blamed it on a new CDRW drive I had
just installed (before installing the drive, on hdd, I hadn't had
any problem.) In my configuration, I have HDs as masters on both
IDE channels (both Quantums as well, if that helps) and CD drives
(one CRROM, one CDRW) as the slaves.

But one thing I have noticed that is a common thread: A **LOT**
of the folks having this problem have Intel PIIX4 IDE controllers.
Including me.

I did upgrade to 2.2.16 and it improved things, but it still
crashes occasionally. Usually during periods of disk activity;
I don't know if it is reading or writing though...

BTW (for Andre): The IDE patch(es) on kernel.org in your directory--
what do they do???

engineer_scotty

engineer_scotty (no, not that one) -- consumer of fine ales and lagers
some days you're the fire hydrant, some days you're the dog | go blazers
no small furry creatures were harmed in the creation of this .signature