SubjectFine grained locking

Seen on the news: A quote from the Pres of Caldera.

"Especially at the high end. Linux doesn't scale. Linux is fine in
niche markets like special servers and Internet access devices,
which is where we've positioned it, but it doesn't scale and won't
for some time. It doesn't have the fine-grain locking"

It is my fond hope that a few years from now, people will begin to
realize that Linux scales _because_ it does not have fine grained locking.
Just say no.

Sun is already marketing servers with multiple copies of Solaris, VMS Galaxy
did it years ago, and IBM has show benefits of running thousands of
UP copies of Linux in a single S390, but, just like microkernels,
"fine grained locking" is such a powerful draw that it lives
on past the technical failure.