SubjectRe: MDA video detection request.

> and the code was quite different. (Or, on the other hand you probably mean
> that it has been available as a patch since the beginning, in which case you
> are correct.)

Yes. I agree with having a mdacon driver is a good thing.

> > Yes. I haven't tried to see what happens when you run mdacon and hgafb at
> > the same time on the same hardware. I don't think it would be a good
> > result.
>
> As I say, I use two consoles all the time. My S3 Virge runs the VESA
> framebuffer at 1024x768, and my MDA is just 80x25. And it all works.

What I mean is having two drivers playing with the same hardware. I have
seen this with running vesafb and the native chipset fbdev driver on the
same card. It's a bad idea.

> > Ed did you try out the patch to see if it fixed your problem.
>
> I did try it briefly, and it did seem to work. I was messing with my attempts
> to write a framebuffer device driver for my S3 Virge at the time so my kernel
> was not being very stable, so I could not run many tests on the patch.
>
> I have a pile of PCI VGA 4 graphics cards here, and I am going to try booting
> each with, and without the MDA in the machine to see what I get.
>
> Expect a detailed report shortly, well, when I have some time.

Great. Thanks for testing it. As for the S3 Virge I have seen a few people
attempt at making a Virge fbdev driver. Inquire on the fbdev list to see
who is involved in that.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.556 / U:0.312 seconds]