SubjectRe: ext3-0.0.2e released
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:30:10AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> > Yeah, I know, but then again, why do they all want to fsck? We have so
> > many nice journaling file systems now.
>
> Maybe because if the damn drivers are not cool with ext2, they will not
> work with journaling, you think that is valid enough reason?

With one exception (the munging of buffer_heads directly by the device
driver layer, which is something that only the raid1/5 drivers do for
now), journaling filesystems have no special device driver
requirements that are not also shared by applications such as mailers
(which use fsync for ordering guarantees) or databases (which use
O_SYNC, typically).

If the drivers aren't cool with ext2, then the kernel's whole
synchronous IO API breaks too, and all user space apps which rely on
write ordering will break. This is generally considered a Bad Idea!

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.611 / U:0.004 seconds]