SubjectRe: ext3-0.0.2e released
Date
Ted Ts'o writes:
> 3) For example, I have seen reports that sound like there are
> problematic hard disk subsystems out there that will write garbage
> out to disk during an unclean shutdown. (i.e., as the voltage on
> the power rail starts going down, the memory is the most sensitive
> to voltage drops, and fails first by writing garbage out to the
> memory bus. Meanwhile, the hard drive controller continues to
> happily DMA'ing said garbage to the disk.)

The good news is that, except for statistical flukes, the on-disk journal
will not be complete (i.e. no valid end transaction record), so the garbage
will not make it from the journal into the filesystem on recovery. This
means that ext3 is safe from such problems, including the data as long as
ext3 also is journalling data.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"