SubjectInitial network device(s)

Does anybody know, during early startup of the kernel, what I
can check to see if an Ethernet device "eth0" exists. This
is before the network is started and before any possible
network-device module would be installed. The idea is to
install a network device module IFF the correct one is not
already linked into the kernel. This is an embedded system
so It doesn't use the current 'try to install if you get
an ifconfig error' mechanism. It doesn't use 'ifconfig'.
It uses socket ioctl(SIOCSxxxx) calls.

I have checked /proc/net/dev and, even if the driver already
exists, it does not show until it is actually opened by
`ifconfig` or whatever.

I need to get rid of some error messages that occur upon
startup, it's purely cosmetic but customers will complain.

Should I just make an initial ioctl(SIOCSIFADDR) to the
device and check to see if it worked? Or is there a cleaner
way? Maybe I should add a SIOCSDEVEXIST??

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.151 / U:0.036 seconds]