    SubjectTrashing ext2 with hdparm

    Following the discussion in another thread where someone
    reported fs corruption when enabling DMA with hdparm, I've
    played around with hdparm and found that even the rather
    harmless hdparm operations are capable of trashing an ext2
    filesystem quite nicely.

    hdparm version is 3.9

    hdparm -tT /dev/hdb1 does the trick here.

    After that, several files are corrupted, such as /etc/mtab.
    Reboot+fsck fixes the problem, however e2fsck never finds
    any errors in the fs on disk.

    I'm quite sure that earlier kernel versions didn't exhibit
    this kind of behaviour, although I'm not quite sure at
    which point things started to break. I have test12-pre6
    here atm, but I have test-11 still lying around and will
    test that in a bit.

    The drive in question is an IBM-DTLA307030 running in
    UDMA Mode 5 on a PDC20265, chipset revision 2.

    I haven't seen any other corruption other than that which
    hdparm reliably triggers. Might as well be a bug in hdparm,
    so someone else might also want to check...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.024 / U:10.908 seconds]