SubjectRe: Persistent module storage [was Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page]
Date

jas88@cam.ac.uk said:
> Yippee. As we all know, implementing GUI volume controls and putting
> the slider in the right place is a kernel function, and nothing to do
> with userspace...

Don't troll, James. The kernel needs to provide the functionality required
by userspace. The functionality required in this case is the facility to
read the current mixer levels.

jas88@cam.ac.uk said:
> The right thing in this context is not to screw with hardware
> settings unless and until it is given settings to set. Do not set
> values arbitrarily: set only the values you are explicitly given.
> Anything else is simply a bug in your driver.

It is unwise to assume that the hardware is in a sane state when the driver
has been unloaded and reloaded. I agree that you should set the values that
were explicitly given. That's why we should remember them.

--
dwmw2