    Subjecti-node corruption -- who to contact?
    Kindly forgive this posting from a non-subscriber.  I'm more of a test tool
    person than a kernel hacker (altho I did a bit of SysV.[234] kernel work in
    a past life). However the issue I'm facing involves the kernel, so I have
    presumed to post to this list.

    As part of my work for HP, I have ported an HP-proprietary mass storage test
    suite that is used within HP (and by our partners) from HP-UX to Red Hat
    Linux 6.x and Windows NT 4.0.

    The tool suite creates two partitions on a disk, creates an ext2 file system
    in the first partition, and then does file system testing (i.e., the 1st
    partition) and raw device testing (to the 2nd partition). In the course
    of file system testing, explicit fsck -y -f's are occasionally performed.
    On occasion the fsck will detect corrupted i-nodes (is that what they're
    called in ext2? I'm using HP-UX and AT&T SysV terminology) -- that is, I
    get reams of "Inode xxxx is in use, but has dtime set" msgs, followed by
    reams of "Illegal block #x (yyy) in inode zzzz". What's remarkable about
    all the "yyy" numbers is that they are from the data that the test tools
    write to _files_ (the tool writes distinctive patterns). {I have also had
    splotches of nulls show up in data files on systems not running the test
    suite, but that's another issue.}

    I have sent e-mail on several occasions in recent months to Theodore T'so as
    well as to Doug Ledford (at Red Hat, since his name appears in the aic7xxx.c
    driver). Neither of these gentleman have responded to me. Are these the
    appropriate individuals to contact? If it would be deemed appropriate
    I can send test results to anyone interested.

    Please cc: me on any responses. Thx.
    Fred Christiansen, a Canajan (Eh?) in Idaho ................................. (specific) // (general)
    Folk inside HP's firewall can access:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:6.816 seconds]