SubjectRe: February 30th 2000
Date
Followup to:  <m3aembng01.fsf@mayne.wellner.org>
By author: Rich Wellner <linuxlists@objenv.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Yes. Check the urban legends lists for anything leap year or UFO
> abduction related before posting. :)
>
> There is no such thing as a double leap year.
>
> And now back to your regularly scheduled time_t debate...

Actually, Sweden had a double leap year in 1712. This was the result
of a botched Government plan to do a gradual switch from the Julian to
the Gregorian calendar (not really a bad idea, given the social
upheaval the very short month tended to cause.) The idea was to have
NO leap years between 1700 and 1748. The Julian leap year in 1700 was
duly skipped, but by 1704 the plan was already forgotten and a leap
year was had; same in 1708. In 1712 they gave up and had a double
leap year, bringing them back onto the Julian calendar. Sweden
finally switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1753 (by ending
February way early, if I recall correctly.)

-hpa