SubjectRe: [patch] ACPI groundbreaking stuff
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, david parsons wrote:

> >Also, it adds the possibility to free ACPI tables that are not required by
> >the BIOS anymore instantly (for those who do not want ACPI support) and
> >adds the ACPI4Linux project to the maintainers list. It should apply
> >cleanly to 2.3.16.

> I'd do this latter a bit differently; I'd tweak it so that the
> ACPI tables are reclaimed automatically iff ACPI support is not
> compiled in.

We chose to make this an extra option because it will be possible to build
parts of ACPI as a module, and this will need the tables to be still in
memory.

The option in the other direction would be possible, but I want the people
to think about that because it would discard information that could be
useful later on, for example to diagnostic tools.

Simon

PGP public key available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/pgp/geier.asc
Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8 47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.034 / U:1.396 seconds]