SubjectPATCH: PnP detection in serial.c
Date
Hello,

Apologies for using this address. My normal one is on a different computer
and I seem to have forgotten my password. Responses here are okay though.
(But cc: jpranevich@linuxtoday.com)

I have written a quick hack of sorts to the serial driver (serial.c) to
support autodetection of PnP boards. I have tested it on my mnachine, in
fact I'm using it now. It only detects my card at present, we would need to
build a list of supported devices. (I believe that there is a generic "PNP"
device classes for modems, but not all seem to adhere to it -- mine
doesn't.) At present, I've only tested it in a machine where all serial
devices were PnP. I expect it to function properly elsewhere however.

Major limitation: we're using the PnP configuration routines exclusively.
That means that it doesn't know about IRQ sharing... maybe a major
limitation to some people.

Minor limitation: we are adding devices based on an arbitrary order. It may
be smarter to add cards in bus order. (we would have to bypass the find card
routines and whatnot and I didn't feel that that was necessary for sample
code)

In any case, here's the beginnings of something against 2.3.16's serial.c.
I'm going to defer to the maintainer (Theodore Ts'o?) but since I'm not
positive who that is, this is going to a wider than intended audience. If I
am asked (by the maintainer or someone else, or maybe even if I feel bored),
I would be more than happy to add the autoconfiguration support and support
for more modems later.

Of course, since I haven't been able to read my mail in most of a week,
someone might have added this support already. Oh well. :)

Later,

Joe Pranevich