SubjectRe: [ OFFTOPIC ] Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)
  "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal@logic.net> writes:

> I wouldn't even look that far. Backups are for a last resort. If you have
> mission-critical storage needs, parity and mirroring are a bare-minimum
> requirement. And by your numbers below, it's quite a bit cheaper to have
> arrays of mirrored disks and standbys compared to spending $136k on a
> software license that still can't completely save you from a hardware
> failure.

Parity and mirroring are nice, but they don't always save you. Our
machine room used to flood every now and then; it's hard to use parity
bits to recover from that.

But yeah, Disk Is Cheap(tm). A bunch of extra disks and a tape drive
will run less than $136k, and I'll sleep a whole lot better at night.

> Application-level support is certainly a bonus, but I'd have a hard time
> believing it's a requirement for the project being discussed here.

Right; there's no off-site backup system quite like mirroring your
code to dozens of servers across the world and sending patches to a
mailing list with thousands of readers.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs