    >> be ex-DOS hackers with MASM and TASM experience. To them, gas
    >> syntax
    >> may be hard to use.
    >Indeed. NASM would be a better choice than either gas or as86.

    The big problem I have with NASM is the license, if it hasn't been
    updated lately there is still a problem with it being shipped with a
    distribution such as RedHat:

    Charging a fee for the Software is prohibited, although a fee
    may be charged for the act of transferring a copy, and you can
    offer warranty protection and charge a fee for that.

    Other than that, for me the as86/ld86 combo works and the code is
    almost never changed, adding a dependency on a new tool (i.e. NASM or
    a newer binutils) seems like a lot of trouble for almost no gain.

    BTW, yes, I have been hacking the as86 sources, porting the Linux-2.0
    kernel to an embedded 486 so I am aware that the as86 code is kind
    of brittle and the error/warning messages leave a _lot_ to be desired,
    but still, it's such a small amount of code that I can live with it.

    Christer Weinigel Cendio Systems AB
    Email: Teknikringen 8
    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00 583 30 Linköping
    Fax: +46-13-21 47 00 Sweden
    [please note that Signum Support has changed its name to Cendio Systems]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.025 / U:3.944 seconds]