    SubjectRe: Boot code rewritten for GAS
    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > So we have
    > as86 - works, but poor docs and poor interface (raw binary code?? :))
    > nasm - portable, maintained, has docs, but an additional dependency
    > gas - requires bleeding edge version, strange 16-bit syntax
    >
    > IMHO nasm seems the best choice. Its 16-bit support will be familiar to
    > many, and also has been stable for longer than gas's 16-bit support has
    > existed.

    The existing boot code works. It practically never needs to be
    changed. Therefore, in my opinion, the poor docs and missing features
    of as86 do not matter. Replacing a tool everyone already has (as86)
    with a tool most people do not have (NASM) would only make sense if it
    offered substantial benefits to maintainability - which it doesn't.

    Changing to gas *does* make sense because it reduces the number of
    different programs needed to compile the kernel. The problem with
    that is the bleeding edge version. It might be reasonable to ship two
    versions of the boot code and use the GAS one if a sufficiently
    up-to-date assembler is found.

    zw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.017 / U:30.072 seconds]