SubjectRe: Addressing more than 2 Gig of Memory
On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 mikosh@austin.ibm.com wrote:

> But also, is there a patch which provides an unsigned 32 bit memory address
> space for each process? (as opposed to a signed 32 bit address, which I'm
> finding in all the 2.2.x kernel updates)

> So the maximum amount of addressable memory would be 4 GB.

That would be even harder to accomplish as you'd have to change page
tables upon entering any exception handlers, copy_*_user would have to be
kludged around... Not the sort of messiness likely to ever make it into
the mainstream kernel (and less likely to be developed). The general
consensus that keeps coming up is that if your needs are that great, you'd
probably be better served by a 64 bit architecture where the fixes are
much simpler (ie dealing with 32 bit pci dma issues).

The 36 bit support for ia32 should allow for something close to what you
want -- it would be possible to make kernel address space smaller,
reducing memory for caching, but increasing the virtual address space
which could be filled with high memory.

-ben

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.059 / U:0.192 seconds]