SubjectRe: Addressing more than 2 Gig of Memory
Hi Benjamin,

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Ookhoi wrote:
>
> > I have a server dualPII450 with 1 gig of RAM, and during the boot it says:
> >
> > Linux version 2.2.7
> > #2 SMP Mon May 3 11:23:36 CEST 1999
> > Warning only 960MB will be used.
> >
> > What is that "epsilon" thing, and what is the reason that it doesn't use
> > the full amount of RAM?
>
> The address space on ia32 is divided into 3 parts: user space (usually 3
> gigs), kernel physical memory mapping and kernel virtual mapping (the
> epsilon). Kernel virtual mappings are used for things like mapping PCI
> shared memory for device drivers, in addition to fulfilling vremap
> requests. In short: it's needed.

Thanx a lot for your explanation!

> > I'm sorry if I should know this.. If so, _please_ point me to the
> > documentation.
>
> Alas, it might not be well documented. For 2.3, selecting between 1 and 2
> gig support on intel is now a config option, and if it hasn't been
> documented yet, it surely will before 2.4.

I downloaded 2.3.12, and searched for info in
Documentation/Configure.help
and in
Documentation/memory.txt
but I can't find a thing on the config option. Uhm, can you point me to
it? And what will be the advantage?

Tia!

Groets, Ookhoi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.274 / U:0.052 seconds]