SubjectRe: Partition Sizing
On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 01:10:19PM -0500, The Doctor What wrote:

> I'm curious about this as well. What advantages are there to multiple
> partitions, besides faster fsck times? How do I know what size to make
> them? How should I break the partitions up? What do I do if I run out of
> space in one?

There are several arguments for having multiple partitions. I think most
of them have become irrelivant as disks have gotten faster and cheaper.
The one that still makes sense is to have /home on its own partition.
This allows you to do something like install Caldera and Red Hat on 1
machine, and share /home between them. On my machine I make /usr/local
its own partition and I symlink /home -> usr/local/home. I like this
arangement because I can reformat and reinstall a distribution and not
have to worry about my personal files.

Another thing I just remembered is that some BIOSes will not boot a kernel
if its more than 1G from the beginning of the disk. If you have a machine
like this you need to have a partition on the drive suitable for booting.

Picking the size of the partitions is educated guesswork. Because I grew
up in the days when everyone had a seperate /usr partition, I usually
do it like this:

/dev/hda1 -> 64M / (I keep kernel images here for BIOS)
/dev/hda2 -> 64M swap
/dev/hda3 -> 512M /usr
/dev/hda4 -> /usr/local (with /home symlinked here)

But there are certainly a lot of other common ways to do it.

Jim

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.068 / U:0.040 seconds]