SubjectRe: In which order does the kernel deletes files?
At 02:28 22/07/99 -0400, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Make a 10meg /boot partition that is entirely below the 1024th cyl
>> boundary. This is a bios limitation.. Be thankful that you are not running
>> NT, it makes you put all of C: under 1024cyl..
>>

>Win98, Win95 (OSR 2.0, 2.5), and Win2000 (aka NT 5); don't have this
>limitation. I've also got NT 4.0 with the latest service pack running on
>some drives who's C: drives' go beyond the 1024th cylander without any
>problems. I know that at least eariler versions of the install didn't allow
>a C: greater than 4GBs but this is resolvable with a script that extends the
>C: drive after the install to encompass the entire drive or with the use of
>mirroring software which does the same thing. Newer NT 4.0 install CD's
>that include the latest service pack may also automatically do this.

Yes, they do have all the same problem. If your boot partition doesn't
start under the 1024 cylinder limit the BIOS won't be able to find
the bootblock and then there's no way the system can start. It's not
an OS limitation, it's a BIOS limitation.

Try it if you're that anxious, get an empty drive, partition it so that
the first 1024 cylinders are empty and put your boot partition after
that, install whatever you like, and then try to get it to boot. :)

Broken BIOS's for broken hardware, you know.

Grtz,
Pascal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.071 / U:0.272 seconds]