    SubjectRe: FS corruption... some help maybe??
    Date
    On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:
    >
    > > > 1. inetd will notice any changes to inetd.conf automaticlly.
    > >
    > > I must be to used to other Unix systems where inetd must be
    > > restarted.. on Solaris, and AIX any changes to the /etc/services
    > > or /etc/inetd.conf required a reboot.. restarting inetd never
    > > worked, or if it did telnet sessions start to flake out..
    >
    > RTFM. man inetd and there you go. kill -1 <pid_of_inetd> makes it
    > reread the /etc/inetd.conf. Yes, on all Unices. inetd rereads the
    > configuration when it gets a SIGHUP. Pretty standard convention for
    > daemons. Ferchrissake, it's plainly written in inetd manpage on every
    > system I ever dealt with. From Solaris one:
    >
    > New services can be activated, and existing services deleted
    > or modified by editing the configuration file, then sending
    > inetd a SIGHUP signal.
    >
    > Furrfu... Indeed, killing the thing when it has active children
    > (in.telnetd, for one) is going to orphan them. Why doing that? There is
    > clearly documented way to change the configuration. Trust man(1), man is
    > your friend...

    Way to go! If you happen to get a response that SIGHUP doesn't always
    work in other environments then the obvious answer is that the inetd
    process (or whatever daemon) has a bug. I think I remeber syslog
    having a problem like this on one platform...

    fwr

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:0.372 seconds]