SubjectRe: FS corruption... some help maybe??

I think you are correct... I habitually do a kill -1 <pid of inetd> to
make it reread the inetd.conf file... ditto for inittab and init.

However, we have several dozen solaris boxes and this works on them as
well... we don't reboot for such minor changes at all, just a friendly
kick in the rear with kill -1 and the daemon will reread its config
file (and even log the fact that it did this).

The only config changes that make me reboot any of my linux boxes here
is when I either install a new kernel or modify an existing one by
changing the source and recompiling. Then a reboot is needed...

Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hyatt@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham
(205) 934-2213 115A Campbell Hall, UAB Station
(205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:

> > 1. inetd will notice any changes to inetd.conf automaticlly.
>
> I must be to used to other Unix systems where inetd must be
> restarted.. on Solaris, and AIX any changes to the /etc/services
> or /etc/inetd.conf required a reboot.. restarting inetd never
> worked, or if it did telnet sessions start to flake out..
> from what I am hearing Linux uses FM where inetd is
> concerned.. it has never recognized any of my changes
> automagically.. thou it usually does a better job at when
> restarted than AIX, and Solaris, I have still had times where
> rebooting was the only solution..
>
> > 2. /etc/host changes will be noticed instantly, ie whenever
> > you
> > call gethostbyname() or whatever.
>
> if you say so..
>
> > We had one linux box that stayed up beyond 400 days, and only
> > went
> > down a couple of months ago when our building power
> > transformer was
> > burned up by a water short...
> >

> ah yes Mother Nature the number 2 enemy of Linux (NT = #1)
>
> > > how do you run fsck? can you unmount the system drive
> > and
> > > run fsck on it? And not reboot? If that is the case then
> > rather
> > > than reboot I'd do that once a week ..
> > >

> okay.. well then someone suggest me a good UPS with ALL of the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) must work with both NT and Linux, in the event that I
> ever boot to NT again (rare but those damm word files make me do
> it) not reading then writing them..
> 2) easy to configure under both Linux and NT

I am totally lost. A UPS is something you plug your computer in to
and then forget it. It maintains power across power
failures/transients/etc. There are some that will plug into a serial
port and give you warnings when the power goes down, up, etc. Is that
the type you are talking about?

> 3) 10 to 15 minutes reserve power .. my power just flashes
> occasionally, but has gone out for several hours
> 4) if power goes out the system must know that power is
> gone and shut itself down (apmd? or some dameon)

there are lots of such powermonitor daemons for linux that will start
at boot, grab the serial port, and listen for the UPS to tell them
something bad. Then they can fire off a shutdown -h 5 or whatever type
of shutdown you want

> 5) must be SMP friendly (shouldn't make a difference)
> 6) around $100..

that is the price of a bare-bones battery-backup UPS. I haven't seen
one that will give you status over a serial port for that price...