SubjectRe: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark

> There are definitely gains to having static serving and similar things
> in kernel space... but this sort of thing should really be a
> separately-distributed kernel module. khttpd could definitely be useful
> on 2.0, 2.2, and 2.3 kernels. And the development pace and stability
> of khttpd and the kernel might not necessarily intersect often.
>
> Tangent to this, it would be cool to move some drivers to a "driver pack",
> basically a separate release tarball that closely tracks kernel releases.
>
> It seems to me that you get better results sometimes by mixing and
> matching specific driver versions direct from its maintainer, as opposed
> to mixing and matching kernel releases themselves to get a good, stable
> combination. Plus, stable, well-tested versions of some drivers sometimes
> appear faster than the stable versions of the kernel itself.

This is true. Something I'd like to get fixed in 2.3 is the pains that
one have to go through to compile a kernel module out-of-kernel. Some
of it can be dealt with autoconf macros, but that's not ideal.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.221 / U:0.168 seconds]