SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> To put that in context, a friend of mine works for a travel agent, and
> his first language is Gaelic (the native language of Scotland), but he
> has learned English in recent years. I showed him your message, and he
> freely admitted that the latter example message was meaningless to
> him. However, the former is of a form he is more than used to seeing
> at work as WIndows 98 regularly displays messages of that form, and he
> thus knows exactly what to do when he sees a message of that form.
>
> Best wishes from Riley.

Hehehe... have an english speaking friend of his explain it to him :)... I
know what to *do* and how to *attempt* to alleviate an 0E error (one of
Microsoft's MOST POPULAR errors in Windows), but the point is, I want to
know WHAT happened, or at least something that says in street English what
it was or why it died.

Aren't there translations for it, anyway? I mean, it should be that hard
to have language strings of some sort and be able to use it. Even without
it, most English language descriptions may not have much weight to one who
doesn't know English very well... I think that it's a loss that could be
accepted.

I'm just saying that I like the down to earth type error messages.
Personally, I hate "Oops 00". That's as bad, IMHO, as "Exception 0E at
address ..." becuase it doesn't say, "I fucked up here." Oops isn't taken
as a heavy word... "Fucked up" is.

Actually, do what somebody said earlier and translate this so-called
profane language into it's literal english equivilents, and those could be
used for a down to earth message to say that something's wrong, but put
some comic relief with it. :)

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers http://adk.hypermart.net/
PGP Public Key is available at a Key Server near you, or at:
http://wcnet.org/~mtrausch/pubkey.txt
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org

To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god. - JLB

Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

Love is friendship set on fire. - French Proverb

Customer: I'm running Windows '98 Tech: Yes. Customer: My computer isn't
working now. Tech: Yes, you said that.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.144 / U:0.796 seconds]