    SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

    On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, David Chappell wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jun 1999, Kelley Spoon wrote:
    >
    > > Someone else brought up the point about censoring work other people
    > > contributed, and I agree with that. I have absolutely no problem
    > > with a developer calling a spade a spade.
    >
    > It should be pointed out that they aren't calling spades spades. No
    > copulating, voiding of excrement, or condemnation to an afterlife of
    > torture actually occur in the Linux kernel. ;)

    ROFL!!! I couldn't help but LMAO when I read that... That's very funny...
    hehehe...

    > Also, many of these words (such as hell and damn) are expletives,
    > meaning that they do not contribute anything to the sense of the
    > sentence, except perhaps to express the author's annoyance.

    Exactly. That has become the purpose of those words -- in fact, that's
    the only times that I've really heard/seen them were in times of
    frustration.

    > I would suggest that looking for obcenities in kernel messages would
    > be a good way to find poorly written messages which should be made
    > more explicit and helpful.

    Hm. Which would you rather have in YOUR kernel?

    "Fatal Exception 0E at address 349f930d:020a34ff"

    Or

    "Something fucked up. This shouldn't happen."
    "oops 00"

    Personally, I'd rather see something say "Something fucked up" and maybe a
    description of it, in HUMAN READABLE terms (e.g., readable by
    non-programmers and CS majors) as opposed to "fatal exception 0E..." which
    really tells a user NOTHING about what just happened.

    > The reason this kind of language is still seen as unprofessional in at
    > least some quarters is that it is more common amoung the illiterate
    > and because it introduces topics with distictly unpleasant aspects
    > into a context in which they are entirely irrelevant.

    Well, they may be unprofessional, however, they are very concise, and well
    understood among all of us humans, no?

    Michael B. Trausch
    President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers http://adk.hypermart.net/
    PGP Public Key is available at a Key Server near you, or at:
    http://wcnet.org/~mtrausch/pubkey.txt
    ADK Computers, Walbridge Office E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org

    To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god. - JLB

    Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

    Love is friendship set on fire. - French Proverb

    Customer: I'm running Windows '98 Tech: Yes. Customer: My computer isn't
    working now. Tech: Yes, you said that.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:3.114 / U:0.716 seconds]