SubjectRe: Unmounting SMB file systems
On 7 May 1999, ADAM SCHROTENBOER wrote:

>Not sure if this is a kernel issue or not, but thought I could at least field
>the q to you.
>
>I make a regular use of smb mounts, and have noticed a problem w/ them. At
>shutdown, it attempts to unmount the SMB file systems along with the local
>file systems, rather than with the network file systems. This means that if I
>don't remember to unmount them manually before shutdown, the shutdown process
>grinds to a halt when it's unmounting file systems.

The same thing happens when you forget to unmount nfs mounts. The umount
will time out eventually..

>I don't know if this is a kernel issue or not, so if not, please direct me to
>the most appropriate forum for this q. If it would qualify as a kernel issue,
>it would be appreciated if it would be forwarded to the kernel crew to be
>fixed.

No this is a problem with 'umount -a' called from /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
(in redhat 5.2)

try to replace

echo "Unmounting file systems"
umount -a
mount -n -o remount,ro /

with something like:

echo "Unmounting file systems"
for i in ` mount | grep -v 'type smbfs' | awk '{print $3}' ` ; do
umount $i
done

I think smb shares are mounted with type smbfs but i could be wrong ( i
don't use Samba). if you want to leave nfs mounted too, add a
grep -v 'type nfs'| after the first grep.

-phazer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.049 / U:0.312 seconds]