SubjectRe: ext2 warning in Linux 2.2.7

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 12:41:27PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> > Aha. Steve, I didn't really look into NTFS driver's guts
>
> Very wise :)

Now I did ;-) Why on the earth do you use *positive* values for
errors? I didn't finish wading through the directory-scanning logics
yet...

> > (mostly since it's R/O and thus all, erm, fun with rename()/unlink()/
> > rmdir() went without touching it).
>
> Mmmm. There _is_ actually experimental write code in there, but I don't think
> we support rename(), unlink() or rmdir() yet, but it might happen soon. It's
> not superficially difficult, and I've just added some code which will make it
> easier.
>
> Code you explain what the issues are with rename() and friends? That way
Were.
> there's half a chance I might get it right first time!
Umm... I don't think that you'll hit something nasty with them
now, with the interface changes already in place. There was quite a bunch
of races in that area and half of filesystems missed (fs-independent)
checks. Now checks went to VFS and race-prevention did the same.

> > IIRC it's an FFS-derivative with B-trees used
> > wherever possible. What are you using for inumbers?
>
> I don't know about FFS but I doubt it. All the fs metadata is actually stored
> in files, which is neat in a twisted way. There's a Master File Table (=MFT),
> which is a sequence of FILE records; the inumber is simply the index of the
> FILE record. The MFT is actually stored in the $DATA stream of file in the
> root directory called $MFT. I guess this makes access a bit slower, but it
> means no special logic is required for extending it, and things like
> filesystem defragmenters don't need to have (much) special handling for it.

It may mean nastiness with locking... (disclaimer - I didn't check
the actual code yet).

ObknfsdCode: for non-directories we don't really need to go the
whole way to root. Unhashed dentry is more than enough to make all _file_
operations work. We need a hashed dentry (i.e. properly sitting in the
directory tree) only for directory fhandles...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.941 / U:0.108 seconds]