SubjectRe: XFS and journalling filesystems
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 09:58:45AM -0500, Jim Mostek wrote:

> > Also, journalling slows down reading,
>
> How does journalling slow down reading? The only time XFS needs
> to create a transaction is when changing meta-data (like a create,
> file extend, remove, ...).

I understand there's a difference between journalling and logging; guessing
wildly, I'd say journalling is what you described, whereas logging is a
system which stores incremental changes to filesystem state with 'last known
good' checkpoints happening periodically. So in the latter case reading would
indeed be slower as you'd have to look at all the changes that had occurred
since the last checkpoint. Perhaps this is what was meant above.

Bear in mind I just made all that stuff up, by the way, so there's no reason it
should be correct!

--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?