SubjectIdeas for Sound in the 2.3/2.4 Kernel
Date
I apologize if this appears twice in the mailing list, since I sent a
message and it hasn't appeared yet. I don't know if I messed up, or if
there's just a lag in the list.

I can't remember where I heard it (whether it was from the mailing list or
from the ALSA homepage), but I've heard that ALSA will be part of the 2.3
kernel to replace the OSS/Free drivers. I think that would be an excellent
start to improving the sound drivers. In my personal use of ALSA, it's
easier to get my ISA SoundBlaster AWE64 working than with OSS/Free (one
module versus five if I recall correctly).

However, I do have an idea that might be worthwhile. I posted a message
here earlier about sharing the /dev/dsp device among multiple programs, and
I was referred to using the EsounD daemon. I've been using it for some time
now, and I must admit, I am highly impressed. Now I can listen to my MP3
files with X11Amp and hear sounds when receiving messages from Licq.

So, why not make it a standard part of the kernel? The idea was discussed a
bit at the time, but 2.3 was nowhere in sight then (I think 2.2 was being
finished then). It might improve compatibility with applications, since the
library no longer has to be preloaded (by using the esddsp script which does
an LD_PRELOAD and sets some environment variables). Also, it's a pretty
nice feature to be able to send multiple sounds to one channel for mixing.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Do you folks think it would be feasible,
and if so, possible?

Joe