SubjectRe: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?
Hi!

> That's not what my response was about. The person I was responding
> to had

[that person was me]

> stated (as you can see at the top) that there is a 30% performance
> increase with SMP. No stipulations about I/O-based bottlenecks or
> too-small RAM or anything. I want to know where he got those numbers

Machines are often bound on memory bus bandwidth, and smp will not
help you with memory bus bandwidth. Old pentium boards had shared
L2-cache, which was bad; P-II's have onchip L2 so I guess it is better
these days.

No, I do not have any backing numbers. I have blurred memory of people
being very happy when they got 30% or so increase... Sorry.

> I understand that when you increase the computing power of a system you
> often have to increase its available resources. Bigger power supply,
> faster disks, more RAM...no problem. But an example system gets only

It is hard to increase cpu<->ram bandwidth these days.

> increase in capacity once you've added a CPU and this is a result of not
> enough RAM, you don't then say in a public forum it "means about [a] 30%
> performance increase."

Well, I did ;-).

Pavel
--