    SubjectRe: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?
    Hi Andrea.

    >> I have seen a case of a system with 2xP2/400 CPU's and maxed out
    >> with RAM perform faster on a UP kernel than an SMP one, so such
    >> is possible

    > Maybe you should run `make -j80 zlilo' instead of `make zlilo'
    > ;). Do you see my point? If you run only one task the
    > performances theorically should be the _same_.

    Never having used zlilo, I wouldnae know, but the said system was
    distinctly faster under the UP kernel than the SMP one with the
    following command:

    Q> make -j bzImage

    Please advise how that compares with your sample?

    > With the difference that in smp a kernel you have the spinlock
    > overhead, but in the up kernel all irqs are run over the current
    > task.

    Meaning ???

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:3.284 seconds]