    SubjectRe: 2.2.5 kernel/routing/firewalling
    Date

    >What you are talking about is a bridge. However, most firewall
    >configurations act as a gateway.

    I thought I probably was, thats why I looked at the 'Bridging' mini-howto
    but I couldnt see whether it was possible or not to make it do
    filtering/firewalling without having to make it the default router
    as well. Its starting to look as though I cant, although one suggestion
    so far is to use rarp. This may cause me some headaches - I have
    800+ machines on my local side, and a huge number on the campus
    side, although admittedly I dont need to know about most of them,
    just mail hubs, web servers, news servers, time servers and dns servers.

    Cheers,
    Terry.

    >Why? Bridges generally are only worried about network packets, in this
    >case ethernet. It sees a packet on one side, determines that the recipient
    >may be on the other side, and retransmits the packet on that side. It
    >doesn't care if it is IP or IPX or SMB or whatever. It's taking care of
    >ethernet packets.
    >
    >Firewalls, on the other hand, look at IP packets, deterines whether it
    >should pass the packet based on the source/destination addresses, and on
    >the port and protocol numbers, and then either passes it on (generally
    >with some rewriting of the IP headers) or drops it. Much more work
    >intensive and needs much more information than just the eternet headers.
    >
    >So, you really should/have to use your firewall as a gateway device. Doing
    >it as a bridge will leak packets both ways, and won't give you much in the
    >way of security.
    >
    >There are some 'transparent' security devices out there, but IMHO, they
    >aren't.
    >
    >jf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.024 / U:0.104 seconds]