    SubjectRe: [RFC] Rights for hardlinks

    On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > > As a general feature, however, is it reasonable to add a S_ITMP flag to
    > > > creat(2) to create temp files that do not have associated directory entries?
    > >
    > > <shudder> Good luck implementing it over NFS. OTOH... Something
    > > similar is possible, but I don't think that create() is the right
    > > interface for that. BTW, most of the times you really need not that, but
    > > anonymous mmap...
    >
    > Where's the problem with nfs? In case of nfs, it will be kernel's duty
    > to try to generate unique name. It has to do it, anyway (look at
    > nfs_sillyrename), so I do not see why this is a problem.

    Kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise, doesn't it? OTOH adding a
    unique name creation into the VFS/fs interface makes a lot of sense.
    I'm going to do it, anyway, for NFS rename cleanup. *Maybe* when it will
    settle down it will be worth exporting to userland. But I'm very
    uncomfortable with the idea of exporting to userland things that are in
    flux inside the kernel...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.036 / U:0.760 seconds]