SubjectRe: PROBLEM: SCSI with 2 controlers..

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Ronald Meijerink wrote:

[ ... ]

> ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=14 serial_number=29 serial_number_at timeout=29
>
> And then it just does nothing at least in the 20 minutes it i needed to
> type this over from the other computer..
>
> Is it posable that on the ncr53c810a-2 irq 13 not the best irq because
> on the other kernels it runs up 9,10,11 with the 2.1.130 kernelstrange

The driver reads the IRQ number from the PCI device configuration space on
linux-2.0 kernels, but is provided by the PCI driver code with this
information in linux-2.2 kernels. In both case, the IRQ number is assumed
to be the one that corresponds to the actual IRQ routing of the device on
your system. If for some obscure reason, it is not so, then the driver
interrupt routine will never be called and no IO will complete.

> After looking around in the readme from the scsi driver that it is not
> posable to set irq's enz..

That's the case for all PCI device drivers. The PCI config space is
filled in by the POST code and shall be correct. For non-intel, Linux
is performing some write to device PCI config space and they also
shall corresponds to the reality of the actual hardware settings.
Failing to do so, may just let your system not work at all.

> > What exactlyis happening on the second machine? I didn't see any errois
> > in the log you included...
> >
> Wel see above but on the extra 2 scsi controlers there is no hardware.
>

> Gr. Ronald Meijerink

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.041 / U:0.072 seconds]