SubjectRe: Determination of machine lockups
> Can someone suggest a troubleshooting path (software) that I can
> use to determine if my kernel is locking due to a bug, or perhaps
> to something I've upgraded foolishly?

Given that it does it across operating systems, I'm thinking you have
some form of hardware failure. A long while ago when I was running my
main system on an ASUS P55T2P4, it turned out that my L2 COAST chip had
hit the bit farm. I found this out after going piece by piece through my
system and the very last thing that could have been bad, turned out to be
bad. I was happy it was a nice and easy fix, because I didn't really want
to replace my memory or CPU at the time. :)

I'm guessing you have a more recent motherboard but my system showed the
same symptoms yours has right now. If you have a fairly old system, you might
want to make sure everything is seated properly and all the dust bunnies
are gone. :)

I'm guessing it probably isn't heat related since Linux does HLT during idle.

--
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer