SubjectRe: HINT benchmark and Linux
Date
> To grossly simplify, this benchmark purports to measure performance
> a wide range of problem sizes. And sure enough, when run on FreeBSD
> the performance curve shows the classic ``3-step'' drop-off when the
> data size moves from cache to main memory to paging. The Linux
> graph is similar but with a much less clearly defined ``shape''
> and the small-problem peak performance is about 15% less that FreeBSD.
> (See http://www.cs.washington.edu/lab/sw/HINT/hintgraphs.html.)

I've tinkered with HINT on some boxes here as well; we haven't tested
it on a box running 2.2.x, but we have on boxes running 2.0.35 and 36.

Your graphs for Linux look low compared to our results. What net MQUIPS
did you get for double? We observed net MQUIPS of 18.1 for double on a
single PII-400 running 2.0.35 (128 MB RAM).

We've got a good "three-step" curve of those results graphed online:

http://www.ima.umn.edu/stats/hint/intel/violet/

although the double results look a little crushed due to scaling effects
resulting from being on the same graph with the integer results.

Steve Bonneville
IMA System Administrator

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:0.776 seconds]