SubjectRe: disk head scheduling

Matthew Jacob writes:
> At any rate, my notes are pretty incomplete on this talk- it *was* a quick
> work-in-progress talk (< 7 minutes presentation+questions), and I can't
> find the online version of the abstract, so maybe the author (I *believe*
> that is 'drew@cs.berkeley.edu'- that's what my printed abstract says- but
> it might have been Jeanna Neefe (neefe@cs.berkeley.edu)- I was quite
> spaced out by that point) could comment or make a more complete version of
> the paper available for perusal?
>

> -matt

Right, I gave this talk. My presentation suggested enriching the file
system-storage system interface so that storage systems (which can be
quite complex today) have information pertinent to making intelligent
storage decisions.

I've put the talk slides online and the WIP abstract is included below.
http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~drew/Papers/papers.html

There currently isn't a complete version of the paper -- research on the
topic is still in progress.

--Drew

Enriching the File System-Storage System Interface

Many file systems are designed to carefully place data on disk to
provide good performance. In order to do this, the file system must
know specific characteristics of the storage device. However, today's
high-end storage system products are complex. They typically contain
many disks, persistent memory, and one or more redundancy schemes.
These storage systems use their own layout scheme, which may
undermine the layout proposed by the file system. The file
system-storage system schism leads to the following dilemma in layout
decisions: the file system has more information about the likely
access patterns of files but the storage system has more information
about the performance of the storage media.

I propose that the file system provide abstract rather than absolute
file positions to the storage system. In addition, the file system can
predict how long a given block is likely to live and how frequently it
will be accessed. This information can then be sent as a hint to the
storage system along with the block to be stored.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.025 / U:0.412 seconds]