    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?
    In message <95A312CD1D10D2119B4600A0C9D17F7C02A3D264@ma-atl02.manhattanassociat>, Prasanna Subash writes:
    | I really hope that its true. Remember, M$ had no market share, in
    | the web browser market, and yet it was almost able to sideline Netscape. Its

    Ah, but Netscape plays by largely the same rules Microsoft does: business
    and marketing rules. The Linux world dances to a different tune, and
    Microsoft can't do much to affect the core of Linux because that core can't
    be "put out of business" (because we're not *in* business!).

    They could conceivably make trouble for the acceptance of Linux in the
    business world, granted. I don't consider it too likely, because it's
    *exactly* that kind of manipulation that brought Linux to the attention of
    business users as an alternative; as a result, given that Linux itself can't
    be seriously hurt by such manipulation, all Microsoft can really accomplish
    by such is garnering more bad press (and more defections) for itself.

    If it were merely that Linux can be obtained for free, Microsoft might be a
    problem... but go look at all the articles in the mainstream computer press
    examining open source/free software from a business perspective. They may
    not entirely "get it", but they *do* get that we're not a possible target for
    nasty business dealings in the traditional sense because we simply don't work
    that way.

    If you want to worry about what Microsoft might do to cause serious problems
    for Linux, go reread Bourne's paper about putting back doors in login with
    the help of a tweaked compiler. But IMHO even that is unlikely, to the
    extent that both gcc/egcs code and any potential target for such back doors
    are open and can therefore be audited if there were any suspicion of it
    happening. It'd be a big job, but it could be done... and because of that
    open code, nothing stops us from comparing e.g. suspect gcc source against a
    known-clean earlier version to simplify the job.

    Microsoft quite simply can't apply its usual methods (said methods showing as
    little innovation as their products :) against Linux. Whether they can come
    up with something new in time to have any serious effect is an open question,
    but from Microsoft's track record to date I consider it fairly unlikely.

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:5.268 seconds]