Subject2.3 wish (was: where to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?)
Date
There was once again the discussion about the kernel tarball size
and what one could do, like splitting of {scsi|network} drivers.

For some good reasons mentioned often enough, this is impractical.

But for some people with disk space shhortage (like me), the kernel
tarball size is not as important as the size of the untarred tree.

I have a wish (for 2.3, I guess) which could make life a lot easier
for many:

** Make it possible to delete unneeded parts of the tree.

If I could rm -rf all arches I don't have, delete drivers for
all cards i don't have or plan to buy, and still the kernel builds,
then most of my problems are gone.

It would be a really cool feature if make *config could check for
the files needed for an option, and mark, e.g., the appletalk protocol
unavailable, if one of the necessary files is missing. But that
wouldn't be necessary.

But if a kernel build would not stumble over missing directories
one could remove all unnecessary files and save lots of space.

Hartmut
--
Hartmut Niemann -- niemann(a)cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
http://cip2.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de:8080/hyplan/niemann/index_en.html [/ggi]