SubjectRe: Video CD on Linux kernel 2.2
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I heard that there's a block size problem of CDROM-XA sectors (they are
> > > 2324 bytes long), but I hope that transparent access to the video tracks
> > > under Linux kernel 2.2 is possible.
> > Well win95 can do it so I dont see why linux cant do it better.
> You can arrange to do this with Linux. Take a look at the usermode
> nfs<->userfilesystem stuff. NFS is actually a much better protocol for local
> user mode file systems, as it does parallel requests, keeps context in easy
> to control handles and does caching kernel side.

I think the big attraction to the userfs solution was that the protocol
was very simple and it was trivial to add new filesystems. From what I
recall NFS isnt exactly a trivial protocol and people doing nfs<->userfs
could find it rather intimidating and confusing.

In the CDROM-XA situation though, its probably better to add support for
it in the ISO9660 driver directly as it doesnt require a new filesystem,
just detect Mode2 sectors and deal with them properly.

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.116 / U:0.252 seconds]