SubjectRe: [pas16] sound in 2.2 kernels
Montreal Tue Feb  2 14:56:49 1999

Karl LaRocca <larocca@cobite.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem, I just installed my old pas 16 in a 2.2.0
> machine at work and the volume is really quiet plus the mixer doesn't do
> anything. I don't know what to do yet... Let me know if you find
> anything out and I'll do the same.

I haven't found anything.

* The mixer works for Loudness/Enhance/Mute but seemingly nothing
else.

* Changing default_levels in pas2_mixer.c registers in xmixer and
other mixer programs, but the actual sound volume is not changed.
Changing volume in the mixer seems to call all the proper functions
as far as I can tell/gr0k.

* The 2.0.36 driver doesn't compile for 2.2.1 out of the box (duh).

* I tried diff'ing pas2_mixer.c with the 2.0.36 one but most of the
changes are whitespace and I don't understand anything in the rest.
(If I get bored, I'll eventually try to back out the recent mixer
changes and see what happens.)

* On the bright side, the commercial driver from www.opensound.com
works (note: It also initialises the sound card to a much more
acceptable volume than the free driver. So you can use it to
initialise the card and then continue using the free driver,
although the mixer will still not work and this use is probably
infringing the OSS evaluation license.)

Navin.

PS Sorry, but I'm Cc'ing this to the list as your email and another
one makes it clearer that this is not only an isolated problem with
my own system/setup.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.053 / U:0.676 seconds]