SubjectWindows 9x and RFC1323
Hi,

For some time I have had a certain problem with users accessing a 2.2.13
Linux machine from Windows. The problem was/is that when they, e.g., open a
WWW page on my server the page either a) starts loading after a loong time
and goes really slow (albeit the ping and traceroute show that delay isn't
really big - around 140ms at average) or b) the page shows up with random
parts NOT being sent to the opening party - either the images don't show up,
or parts of text are missing (after the reload everything's just fine).
Also, it seems that POP3 connections break at random times with "server
timeout" error message on the user's screen. Now, I started to look at the
TCP tunable options in the Linux kernel, since I didn't notice the problem
until kernel 2.2.5 or so (don't remember exactly) - so I thought it might be
some optimization of the tcp code, or some bug out there. I noticed that
three options (tcp_sack, tcp_window_scaling, tcp_timestamps) are turned on -
they used to default to 0 before AFAIR. The comment on line 77 of
net/ipv4/tcp_input says that these variables are on for testing and that
they might be turned off in the final 2.2 (which, I suppose, was the case
until some version of 2.2). I turned them off by hand and the problems with
WWW and such seem to disappear for now. My question is - is it known that
Win9x tcp stack DOESN'T fully support these RFC1323 options? The RFC says
they should not interfere with any client code, but it seems they do...

marek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.470 / U:0.292 seconds]