SubjectRe: patch to turn internal speaker on/off
Date
> Linus normally does not apply patches that offer only marginal,
> debatable advance, especially when they adding more code.

(*sigh*) oh well. :)

> on the other hand, if you turned the pc-speaker into a module, that would
be
> clearly good. (and permit its omission.) better yet, figure out a way
> to implement a decent beep/etc hooks that work with the real audio
devices.

I would think modularizing the PC squeaker code would add way more bloat
(especially on the source level...but I would guess there's also more
overhead in module execution than compiled-in code) than my method does,
since the whole speaker outputting code is ~15 lines. I added maybe ten more
for the dynamic stuff. A module would be decidedly overkill, I think.

...but your suggestion about the audio device hooks seems...uh, perhaps not
feasible without a loss in modularity, but it definitely might be fun to
try. I've got other projects to tinker with for the time being, so I don't
think I'm gonna get started on that...

...nonetheless, the patch is there, if anyone wants it:

ftp://gamehenge.dyndns.org/pub/squeaker/

Enjoy!
--ryan.
(Please CC replies to me, I'm not on the mailing list. Thanks!)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.036 / U:0.100 seconds]