SubjectRe: Unexecutable stack
stevev@efn.org (Steve VanDevender) writes:

> I run a couple of large Solaris 7 systems with the
> "noexec_user_stack" option enabled. This defeats nearly all root
> exploits based on stack overflows; I've tried them and intruders
> have tried them without success. Making the stack non-executable
> really does help.

The `noexec_user_stack' option on Solaris causes quite some headaches
among the GNAT folks. Nested subprograms are extremly common in Ada
programs, and the GCC backend uses trampolines to implement them.

For Ada developers (and users of other Ada programmers), it would
*extremly* annoying if a non-executable stack became a kernel option
(which some distributions certainly would use as default). I think
the same applies to Pascal and quite a few other languages than C/C++.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.129 / U:0.224 seconds]