SubjectRe: insmoding aha152x never returns in 2.3.33

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Keith Owens wrote:
> eduard.epi@t-online.de (Peter Bornemann) wrote:
> >I think the subject says it all. When I try a "modprobe aha152x", the
> >prompt never returns in 2.3.33. lsmod shows the following (besides
> >lots of other modules):
> >
> >aha152x 24660 (initializing)
>
> Which says that aha152x has not returned from its initialization
> routine. It is kernel code, not insmod, that determines this.
>
> >But this initializing never completes as to lsmod. However
> >dmesg says everything is OK:
> >aha152x: auto configuration: ok, detected 1 controller(s)
> >aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
> >reconnect=disabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
> >extended translation=disabled
> >aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
> >scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
> >scsi : 1 host.
> >
> >So the driver itself seems satisfied whereas kmod doesn't know this.
>
> I would expect more messages, including a device scan. In any case,
> the problem is in kernel code, not kmod/modutils. Something in aha152x
> startup is hanging so the init_module() syscall is not returning to
> insmod. Ask the aha152x maintainer.

I have a similar problem with 'imm' module. There are a bug in kernel, but
when i mount the zip drive, mount fails and exit with error. But when I
install manually the module (with 'insmod imm') (the other modules are
already installed by 'mount'), the virtual console stop working. I
think there are also a bug in modutils caused by bugs in kernel. modutils
must fail without stop virtual console (as 'mount/kmod' do).

N.B.:
The imm bug will be corrected. In thread 'BUG iomega parport':
> Yes. scsi_module:init_module never returns: init_module ->
> scsi_register_module -> scsi_register_host -> scan_scsis ->
> scan_scsis_single (presumably..)
I think it is the same problem, with the same solution.

giacomo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.078 / U:1.172 seconds]