SubjectRe: devfs v136, ZIP disks and glibc-2.1.2
I think the following change to glibc was a mistake:

1999-07-07 Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>

* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpt.c: Check that /dev/pts is mounted.
(_PATH_DEVPTS, DEVPTS_SUPER_MAGIC): New definitions.
(_PATH_DEVPTMX): Use _PATH_DEV.

Just as with the BSD pty's it is the job of the system administrator
to make sure that the nodes for the Unix98 pty slaves exist in the
filesystem. This can be done by several means. The canonical way is
to use the devpts filesystem, but there are other ways, including
devfs, but it should also be perfectly alright to create the nodes
using MAKEDEV (as long as you create enough of them). It might even
be a good idea to have a few of those available for the case where
/dev/pts is not (yet) mounted. At least that was what I was thinking
when I was hacking together with Zack on glibc's getpt()
implementation, which I believe predates the devpts filesystem.

Mark

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.530 / U:0.028 seconds]